Today, I’m going to talk a little bit about social media for authors. First, I’m doing a little happy dance because:
1. Today is the book birthday for Sam Likes Jam which is my very first book. Therefore, it’s also my 4-year indie publishing anniversary!
2. I released my new and improved Indie Publishing Toolkit which now includes a 74 page resource guide! (More info on that below.
Anyway, I wanted to talk to you a bit about your social media accounts. Last week, I discussed the fact that you should definitely work on building your platform outside of social media. However, it’s still a good idea to at least set-up accounts in certain social media platforms.
I know this might stress some of you out because it adds to the already growing list of things you need to do. However, it doesn’t need to be difficult. Here are a few ideas and tools I’ve assembled to make your life a bit easier.
In terms of content, it doesn’t need to be revolutionary, and you can share as much or as little of yourself as you like. However, it can’t always be “salesy”.
You can even pick 7-10 Themes/Ideas and just keep rotating through them throughout the month. You also don’t want to fall into the bad habit some of us get into by catering your content to other AUTHORS. You want to cater your posts to READERS.
Post Ideas & Themes that don’t involve selling
- Every day of the week can have a theme (Manic Monday, Taco Tuesday/Tip Tuesday Wacky Wednesday/WIP Wed, Throwback Thursday, First look Friday, Selfie Saturday, Self-Promo Sunday) I use Mug Monday. I have a cabinet full of snarky mugs, and I share a new one each week.
- Funny Gif/Meme (These are great for Mondays)
- Pet pictures (Always a hit)
- Behind the scenes. (Picture of your writing space, Picture of your laptop and coffee, If you’re brave, a picture of your messy house because you are in the thick of editing…)
- Inspirational Quote
- Quote from your book
- Book recommendations in your genre
- Update on your current WIP
- Something you made
- Something you baked
- Cover reveal
- Name a character contest
- Image that you use for character or setting inspiration (Please use ethically obtained images)
- Interview/feature another author in your genre
- Literally every day is a holiday (National Wine Day, Donut Day, Southpaw day, etc.( This is an endless well of content) http://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholidays/march.htm
Content Tools & Engagement Tips
I personally love Creative Market because they pretty much have a template for everything. Just pop your content in, post and you’re done! No design know-how needed. Below, I’ve assembled an assortment of templates for Instagram, Facebook & Pinterest. Buy one of these template kits, upload your posts to a scheduler like Later.com or Hootsuite.com and in just an hour, you can have your content scheduled and ready to go for the month!
Post includes affiliate links.
Lastly, I want to share with you a course I took to learn the power of Hashtags. I’ve taken courses before (a lot of them), and the main focus usually is giving a little bit of information, and then on the UPSELL to a more expensive course.
This is not the case with this course. It’s FULL of great information, free tools, and the team (including Ellen) is extremely responsive to questions and requests for assistance. Hashtags are a great way to target your specific audience without having to spend a dime on ads.
I never promote anything that I don’t truly believe in. This course was extremely helpful.
Every Monday, I share with you 6 FREE design assets that can help you with your indie author business. Many of these resources are available to use commercially. Just make sure the licensing doesn’t say ‘personal’ if you plan to use them on a book cover, social media or a website. Desktop license is fine to use commercially. Enjoy!
Page contains affiliate links
Want a complete list of all of the best Indie Author Resources?
Just starting out on your writing journey and don’t know where to begin? Click and subscribe to my Podcast! The Struggling Indie Author
Want to support my efforts? Buy me a book!https://cdnjs.buymeacoffee.com/1.0.0/button.prod.min.js
Have you written a book, but have struggled to get the formatting right using basic word processing programs?
Have you spent countless hours uploading a book into a self-publishing platform only to have it look messy and unprofessional?
Stop wasting your precious time and head over to Formatted Books.
Formatted books will help you and publish the best looking books possible. Their goal is to personalize each book to help it stand out in order to help you maximize sales. This is so important for indies, because we’re competing with professionally produced books.
In fact, they are so confident in the quality of their work that they back it with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
They are working on something for me right now, and I can’t wait to share it with you!